This web site is enormous! Use the box to the right to search the whole site for what you are looking for.
Northwood School, formerly Potter Street
(Opening comments from Ruislip, Northwood & Eastcote Local History Society)
On 29th January 1934, Potter Street (New)
Senior Council School was opened with 199 pupils aged between 11 and 14 and 7
teachers. The headmaster was Mr. A. T. Smith previously head of Manor School,
Ruislip. The curriculum was narrow in comparison with today, being merely an
extension of elementary education. There was an emphasis on English and
arithmetic, technical subjects and physical education. Pupils whose
circumstances permitted them to pursue a more academic education and who would
wish to attend school until they were 16, were encouraged to take the entrance
examination for the local county secondary school in Harrow.
During the years leading up to the war, a newspaper article commented on the appearance of the school as follows:
"... the school and its grounds today contribute what is probably the most pleasant vista in the whole of Northwood Hills. The spacious playing fields stretching up the main road always seem in tip-top condition, the wide expanse of grass is wonderfully restful to the eye, and when the boys are out in their white shorts doing physical training, they provide a spectacle well worth seeing. It seems a strange commentary on the rapid urbanisation of this part of the country that the education authorities have supplied a new amenity while the speculative builders are doing their best to obliterate the fields of a few years ago."
By the time war broke out, the school roll had doubled to 400 pupils. A shortage of air-raid shelters meant that only 80 children could attend school at any one time, and a rota was established so that each child could attend one day a week. Schooling was further disrupted by frequent air raid warnings which reached a peak in the autumn of 1940.
The war had a positive effect on the school, however. A telephone was installed in 1939, and a school canteen was opened in 1942. Many boys worked on the allotments created in the school grounds. The school National Savings7 Association had over 200 members at this time. The school provided a service to the community by standing by as a rest centre in case of urgent local need.
After the 1944 Education Act the school was known as Northwood Secondary Modern School and extended its range of subjects.
On 12th September 1961, an extension to the school was opened. This included the Hall, Library and Art rooms and a further extension was opened officially in October 1975 by former headmaster, Mr. Ball. By this time the school had become comprehensive, and it received its first fully comprehensive intake in September 1977.
The school has a much wider curriculum now than in its early days and pupils travel further afield.
There have been visits to the USA, skiing
in Austria, cruises in the Mediterranean, visits behind the Iron Curtain to the
USSR. A strong tradition of music and drama has been built up and a large
proportion of students stay at school until the age of 18 and seek university
entrance -something never dreamt of in 1934.
Full list of schools
Now, pop in to school by clicking on the button below and tell all the famous ex-pupils you are still living, and still waiting for a 282 bus. Remind all those "in charge" that nobody from Northwood went to Northwood School, so the name Potter Street was really OK.
See the former pupils Facebook page
See the old Potter Street School Message Board with hundreds of messages from former pupils - but posting has now stopped and for new posts/stories/memories etc. go to the school facebook page
Ruislip local schools index page